The Turkish lira rises after a day of higher interest rates
2018-09-14 07:39 am | Resource: News | No Views : 91
The Turkish lira rose on Friday, a day after the central bank raised the benchmark interest rate by 625 basis points in the biggest increase of its kind in the 15-year rule of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. The key rates are now at their highest level since 2004, almost a year after Erdogan's first term in office.
The central bank's interest rate hike on Thursday meant the bank had raised interest rates by 11.25 percentage points since late April in a bid to bolster the troubled lira, easing investor fears about Erdogan's influence on monetary policy.
The lira, which lost more than 40 percent of its value this year, rose to 6.08 against the US dollar after Thursday's rate hike, and hit 6.03 to the dollar at 0447 GMT.
The bank's decision came hours after Erdogan attacked the policy of raising interest rates and blamed Turkish inflation on the wrong central bank's moves.
The lira was driven by fears about Erdogan's influence on monetary policy. Recently, there has been a sharp row with the United States, where NATO allies have seen mutual trade restrictions and sanctions.
Erdogan and his government threw the lira crisis as an "economic war" against Turkey and repeatedly urged the Turks to sell their foreign currency savings to support the lira.
On Thursday, Erdogan once again said the currency was "artificial" and vowed that his country would emerge stronger from the coming period.
The central bank and the government took a series of measures to support the troubled currency, with Erdogan issuing a ruling early on Thursday that the sale and lease of real estate should be conducted in pounds, putting an end to these transactions in foreign currency.
Time frame Used - four hours The USDJPY is moving in a bullish direction in the near term The USDJPY faced resistance and selling pressures around level of 114.08 to retreat below the lower boundary of the rising wedge pattern around the 113.68 level In view of the technical indicators Both the RSI and Stochastic are indicating to weakness of the indicators Accordingly, we expect that the USD/JPY will target…
- GBP/USD Technical analysis 12 November 2018 09:17 pm2018-11-11
- EUR/USD Technical analysis 12 November 2018 09:13 pm2018-11-11
- USD/JPY Technical analysis 9 November 2018 10:59 pm2018-11-08
- GBP/USD Technical analysis 9 November 2018 10:55 pm2018-11-08
- EUR/USD Technical analysis 9 November 2018 10:53 pm2018-11-08
- USD/JPY Technical analysis 8 November 2018 11:20 pm2018-11-07
- GBP/USD Technical analysis 8 November 2018 11:18 pm2018-11-07
- EUR/USD Technical analysis 8 November 2018 11:16 pm2018-11-07
- USD/JPY Technical analysis 7 November 2018 11:23 pm2018-11-06
Best trading brokers
- Euro zone manufacturing PMI widen in June, EUR /USD Slip’s 2017-07-03
- commodities Fundamental analysis aaab 2017-08-13
- Bitcoin burglars succeed in stealing 140,000 dollars of encrypted currency 2017-11-07
- job growth slowed by much more than anticipated in the month of March 2018-04-06
- Chairman Gaincarlo just made the most bullish statements in front of the Congress 2018-02-06
- Dogecoin .. Electronic currency arose as a result of irony 03:54 pm 2018-01-26
- Currency and commodity analysis for 2018 05:14 pm 2018-01-01
- Bitcoin forces Santa Claus to distribute the worst gifts to its investors on Christmas 10:04 am 2017-12-25
- Forex 09:26 am 2017-12-25
- OmiseGo .. Time for electronic financial exchanges 02:07 pm 2017-11-15